With this audio guide you will discover the most beautiful sights of the city at 21 stations. The pure walking time of the three-mile tour is one hour.
Since you’ll certainly want to take a closer look at some of the sights without any time pressure, you should set aside a whole day. Of course, it's entirely up to you to skip any of the points if you don't have time or don’t feel like it. On this tour you’re the boss and determine duration and pace yourself!
With 85,000 inhabitants, Constance is the largest city on the lake of the same name and is located directly on the border with Switzerland. The typical climate of the region can bring high temperatures in summer with little wind and high humidity.
The history of Constance dates back to Roman times. Because of its proximity to the Swiss border, the city was not bombed during World War II and therefore welcomes you with an originally preserved old town.
Situated at an altitude of 405 meters above sea level, the city became famous worldwide for the Council of Constance.
You will see the most important sites of this major medieval event such as the council building and the cathedral, as well as explore many other interesting old buildings. You’ll also make a boat ride in the Bay of Konstanz, visit Sea Life, the underwater world and, of course, have the opportunity to taste local and regional specialties.
Does all this make you curious?
Then let's go!
Our Audiguide will accompany you on a route of 5 miles, 21 stops and the pure walking time is about 1 hour.
However, as you will surely want to visit and enjoy the city's attractions without any time pressure, you should allow yourself a whole day.
Of course, you are free to skip a stop if you think you don't have time or don't feel like it.
On your Self-Guided Discovery Tour of Konstans, you will also pass by some places that are not free to enter. It's best to listen to the informative audio commentary beforehand and decide for yourself if a walk around the outside will satisfy your curiosity or if you want to take a look inside.
In this experience you are the boss and not dependent on a tour group, you determine the duration and pace on your tour of Constance on Lake Constance!
Route of the self-guided audio tour to explore Constance on Lake Constance!
With this audio guide you will discover the most beautiful sights of the city on land and water at 21 stations , and also learn a lot about the living history and culture of the city of Constance on Lake Constance.
From the many attractions and sights we have selected for you the twenty most important places to hear interesting stories and tips for a successful self-guided tour of Konstantz on Lake Constance,
We also have discounted tickets and with fast entry for many of the attractions we have selected for you. For the discounted prices please see the end of the text of each stops in the app if available a link is included. If you would like to attend one, remember to check in advance on the sightseeing website for tours in the language you would like,
Our offline audio app map will always show you where you are!
Audio tour route and brief info:
- Minster of Our Lady - One of the largest Romanesque churches in southwest Germany
- High House - At six stories, the tallest profane building in late medieval southern Germany
- Golden Lion House - Magnificent facade paintings
- Kaiser Fountain - The figure decoration is an allusion to the Council of Constance
- Reichspost Building - An outstanding Wilhelmine construction
- Konstanz Council Building - Place of the only papal election that took place north of the Alps
- Zeppelin Memorial - A tribute to the man who invented the airship
- Imperia - A work of art that uses The Emperor's New Clothes fairy tale
- Pier - Explore the delightful nature from the water
- Sea Life - A fascinating underwater world with spectacular inhabitants
- Central Station - The Old Palace in Florence served as a model for the reception building
- Memorial for the deported Jews from Konstanz - Jewish citizens were deported from Constance
- Trinity Church - A house of worship with original frescoes from the time of the Council of Constance
- Schnetztor - A monument of national importance
- Hus House - The Bohemian theologian, preacher and reformer Johannes Hus lived here
- Town Hall - The Constance town hall ensemble combines the architectural styles of different epochs
- Upper Market Square - Court of Justice of medieval Constance
- German House - A neo-Renaissance style house that captivates with its facade painting
- Powder Tower - The medieval defense tower played a tragic role for the Jewish residents of the town
- Rhine Gate Tower - Over the centuries this tower has been a silent witness to many events
- Dominican Monastery - Prison for Jan Hus and birthplace of Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin
YOUR MOBILE GUIDE TIPS:
Finally, if you are still staying at the Lake Constance we would like to give you some recommendations to hand.
- Rhine Falls of Schaffhausen in Switzerland
You can drive to Switzerland to the Rhine Falls of Schaffhausen. The 30-mile toll-free route on Swiss country roads 13 and 14, along Lake Constance and Rhine is much nicer and just takes ten minutes longer than the toll highway routes. Don't forget to buy a vignette for Switzerland if you do decide to take the highway.
- UNESCO World Heritage Site Pile Dwellings in Unteruhldingen
Take a tour of Germany's oldest and one of Europe's largest open-air museums, the Lake Dwelling Museum, with an archaeologically trained staff member dressed as a Stone Age man.Visited by nearly 300,000 people annually, the exhibition takes you back to the world of the Stone and Bronze Ages.
- Zeppelin Museum in Friedrichshafen
The Zeppelin Museum opened in 1996 and houses the world's largest collection of airships on an area of one acre. Experience the walk-through reconstruction of the Zeppelin LZ 129 Hindenburg. In addition, there is an art collection with works by the greatest painters of southern Germany from the Middle Ages to modern times.
- Bodensee-Therme in Constance
An opportunity to simply relax and unwind is offered by the thermal bath with mineral-rich thermal water from a depth of 3300 feet, three indoor saunas, steam baths and massages.
The audio guide app also includes:
- Offline city map on your smartphone for Constance on Lake Constance.
- Sort the map by interest:
- Top highlights, Museums, Bad weather activities, Romantic places, Hits for kids, Cathedrals, Parks, Streets and avenues.
- Buy discounted fast admission tickets conveniently through the app, no waiting in long museum queues
- Additionally free city maps and tips for many places in Europe and the world
- Additionally many benefits & discounts for your audio tour
- GPS supported audio tour app, so you always know where you are!
Note: If you don't have space on your smartphone, you can also use the audio tour in your internet browser with the same benefits!